The efficacy, safety, regulatory framework and marketing of cosmetic products are the most important factors for growth of cosmetic industry. The safety of the cosmetic goods are regulated by diverse regulatory bodies around the globe who all have their own rules and regulations. The regulations of cosmetics like, nomenclature, labelling and safety of colorants(s) alter in different countries. Much stringent legislation exists in European Union (EU) and The United States of America (USA) have very much stringent legislation in order to regulate the use of cosmetic products. The safety assessments of cosmetic products is affected by the different regulations of different regulatory bodies. Nevertheless, there is a need for harmonized regulations throughout the world. An attempt has been made in the present manuscript to compare the current regulatory scenario of cosmetics in USA, EU and India.
Dhull K, Swagat Tripathy and Harish Dureja
Cosmetics, Safety Issues, Color Additives, Regulatory Guideline
- Colors in cosmetics, regulation and nomenclature in the United States. (2005). http://www.personalcarecouncil.org/colors-cosmetics-regulation-and-nomenclature-unitedstates. Accessed 29th April 2015
- Classification of cosmetics raw materials and adjuncts. (2005). https://law.resource.org /pub/in/bis/S11/is.4707.1.2001.pdf. Accessed on 1st May 2015
- Cosmetic Labeling Guide. (2015). http://www.fda.gov/Cosmetics/ Labeling/Regulations /ucm126444.htm#clga. Accessed on 14th May 2015
- Deepthi, V., Sudheer, M. (2013). Regulation of cosmetics and its advertisement in India with an overview of us regulation. An International Journal of Advances in Pharmaceutical Sciences, 4(6), 1661-1674
- Drugs and Cosmetics Act and Rules 1945.(2012).Definition as per Indian guidance document. http://www.slideshare.net/rakshitthumar/drugs-cosmetics-act-1940. Accessed 1st May 2015
- Drugs and cosmetics act and rules. (2013). Labeling, packaging and standards of cosmetics, Part XV, rules 148. http://shruthithyagaraj.blogspot.in/2013/09/6-differences-from-products-gaps-model.html. Accessed 1st May 2015
- European Commission.(2015). http://ec.europa.eu/growth/sectors/cosmetics/legislation/ index_en.htm. Accessed 1 May 2015
- European Commission: From today new EU Rules are combating misleading information and putting safer cosmetics on EU shelves. (2013). http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-13-677_en.htm. Accessed 1st May 2015
- EC Cosmetics Directive 76/768/E. (1998). Resources Centre/Annex_4_colouring_agents_ in cosmetic _pro ducts.pdf. Accesses 1st May 2015
- Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act. (2013). http://legcounsel.house.gov/Comps/ FDA_CMD.pdf. Accessed 1st May 2015……..